The Secret to Health: Aloe Vera Gel
The secret's out!
Here's something the commercial health food industry doesn't want you to know - you can be healthy, keep a youthful glow to you, and prevent diseases like cancer that doesn't break the bank. It doesn't come from a lab, and isn't sold in a tube on a shelf. So, what is it?
It comes from nature, and it's Aloe Vera gel.
Growing up I remember my neighbor having a beautiful aloe vera plant on her kitchen table, and anytime us kids would fall and scrape our arms or legs, she would cut open an aloe vera leaf and apply the gel directly from the plant to our wound. It would heal up within days.
Aloe vera's benefits go way beyond topical treatment - aloe vera gel can be added to water or smoothies! Yes, we can (and should!) drink aloe vera gel.
Top 5 Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel
1. Aloe vera contains cancer-fighting antioxidants. Antioxidants help to destroy free radicals in the body; preventing development of cancer and many other chronic illnesses. Aloe vera gel contains polyphenols, along with several other compounds that prevent the growth of bacteria in the body.
2. Strengthens the digestive system. A healthy digestive system is a healthy body. Over 70% of our immune system lives in our gut. A clean colon can help prevent cancers and common stomach issues that plague our country. The sticky yellow residue found in the aloe plant known as "the latex" contains a key compound for this effect. It is called aloin, or barbaloin, which has well-established laxative effects (10, 11, 12).
3. Promotes healthy, younger looking skin. Our skin is our biggest organ, what we apply to our skin is quickly absorbed by the blood stream within seconds. When it comes to skin care, follow my one simple rule - if you can't eat it - don't put it on your skin! Aloe vera is an excellent plant to integrate into your skin care regimen. In one study of 30 women over the age of 45, topical application of the gel was shown to increase collagen production and improve skin elasticity over a 90-day period (16).
4. Accelerates healing of canker sores and mouth ulcers. Studies have shown that aloe vera treatment speeds the healing of mouth ulcers. In a 7-day study of 180 people with recurrent mouth ulcers, an aloe vera patch applied to the area was effective in reducing the size of the ulcers (8).
5. Promotes healthy gums and reduces plaque build up. In a mouth rinse study of 300 healthy people, 100% pure Aloe vera juice was compared to the standard mouthwash ingredient chlorhexidine. After 4 days of use, the Aloe vera mouth rinse was found to be just as effective as chlorhexidine in reducing dental plaque (5).
How to Use It
Either topically on the skin; directly from the plant or ingest it by adding it to your daily smoothies or water! You can add it to smoothies directly from the plant or try these two options here:
I've tried many brands of Aloe Vera and I like these two the best! Available at common health food stores and VitaCost.com.