It’s finally berry season, which means berry bowls for breakfast all the time! Berries are an excellent sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants are responsible for detoxifying our bodies, and destroying free radicals in our bodies that are linked to disease! It’s all about disease prevention, folks! Due to the highly processed nature of the Standard American Diet (the SAD diet), it is important that when we are transitioning to a healthier lifestyle we are ridding our bodies of the harmful chemicals and toxins found in American food.
Blackberries are a highly underrated (in my opinion) berry of the berry family. Mix together some raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries topped with some hemp seeds and bee pollen..to me, that’s a party for my taste buds! Blackberries are extremely beneficial to our health and wellness, and they often go unnoticed. It’s time to put the spotlight on blackberries!
6 Top Benefits of Blackberries
1. High vitamin C content. The higher the vitamin C content, the better for ensuring strong immune system support. Due to the daily toxins we are exposed to in our air, our environment, and our food it is essential to nourish our immune systems over anything else. Disease prevention begins with a strong mindset and a strong immune system, so by incorporating foods daily with high vitamin C levels, we are cutting our risk of cancer, diabetes, and other diseases dramatically.
2. Rich in antioxidants. It is safe to say that all berries are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants destroy free radicals in our bodies that are caused by the daily toxins we are exposed to. The dark pigment of blackberries indicates that it contains one of the highest levels of antioxidants compared to any fruit. In order to obtain the maximum benefits of berries, it is important to always consume them in their most natural state. Many berry-fruit drinks sold in stores contain preservatives, artificial coloring, and in some cases no trace of the actual berry at all!
3. Contains powerful anti-aging properties. Blackberries can help promote the tightening of tissue, which is an excellent way to keep our skin feeling and looking youthful. This is a combination of the high antioxidant level destroying free radicals that damage cells and promote diseases like cancer.
4. Enhances memory and brain health. Prolonged consumption of blackberries (try to keep food consumption seasonal!) helps keep your brain alert leading to maintaining clarity of thought and good memory.
5. Anti-inflammatory properties which protect against several diseases. As stated throughout my blog many times before, inflammation is the root of all disease. By consuming foods containing anti-inflammatory properties we are cutting our risk of cancer, alzheimer’s, diabetes, IBS, and Crohn’s disease (to name a few..) drastically! The high tannin content of blackberries reduces intestinal inflammation, can also alleviate hemorrhoids and soothe effects of diarrhea. Blackberries have also been used to treat inflammation of the gums and even sore throats. Tannins are also effective as an oral hygiene, helping to eliminate the bad bacteria in the mouth.
6. Aids in reducing cholesterol. Better than any over the counter pharmaceutical, blackberries also contain salicylate, the substance that can also be found in aspirin as well as pectin which helps reduce cholesterol. High levels of bad cholesterol in the body can lead to heart disease, heart attack, stroke and researchers are even linking it to fertility issues.
Blackberries should no longer be the forgotten fruit. Each benefit has a tremendous fighting effect on the daily toxins we as a civilization are now exposed to. Incorporating blackberries in their most whole, natural state can lead to positive and lasting change on your health.
How I use Blackberries:
-Make a berry cereal! Who needs anything from a box? Load up some strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, raspberries into a bowl topped with some hemp seeds, add a nut milk of your choice and voila! You got yourself a grain-free cereal loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamin C to kickstart your day. Creativity is key!
-Smoothie ingredient! I always prefer fresh over frozen for my smoothies, I’ll just add some ice if I want that cooling effect. Blackberries make a fabulous addition to any smoothie, no chopping or pre-prep required. Toss them into your blender whole!
-DIY Blackberry Jam! I am all about the DIY. Homemade, handmade, made with love, ingredients control, and cost effective..need I say more?! Especially in the summer and spring time when life just seems so much easier! Berry season is the perfect excuse to ditch store bought jelly, jam and spreads and make your own using nature’s perfect ingredients.
-Perfect salad topping! Add blackberries to your leafy green summer salad as the perfect topping and added boost of nutritional benefits. Topping fruit to a salad is a super simple way to incorporate more antioxidant rich fruits into your lifestyle.
Let me know how YOU incorporate berries into your daily healthy lifestyle!
Cheers to berry season!